Thursday, March 12, 2015

Good News....and bad.

I am in my chemo chair now, having just visited with the doctor, and I figured I would try to get this done before I get sick. :-) The anticipatory nausea is beginning to settle in but I think I can keep that at bay for a bit longer.

First the good news. I had a CT scan today and it looks great. My lungs are looking much healthier, one of the lymph nodes that was affected has disappeared (it isn't lit up so that means the cancer doesn't appear to be active there.) and while the scan hasn't been read by the radiologist yet, just looking at the scan shows that everything is going in the right direction.

The bad news, first of all, I gained 13 lbs!! Where in the world did that come from? At least my clothes all still fit me...of course, my doctor wasn't upset about that at all. Keeping weight on for cancer patients is a good thing. But my goodness, that didn't make me happy.

The other thing that didn't make me happy is learning that my chemotherapy is never going to end. I thought it was just a 12 week cycle and that after that I would at least get a break and maybe I could go onto the clinical trial or who knows what, but something different. But, two weeks after treatment #12 I will have treatment #13 and then 14 and on and on for the rest of my life. But, there is some good news to go with that. Today will be the last time I get the Oxaliplatin. It is the drug that makes me cold sensitive. Now I am going to have to use pure will power to stay away from the ice cream. But not having that drug will definitely make a difference in how I feel and will also make my chemotherapy go quicker on the days that I come in. Then, after my next scan in 3 months, if it looks good then I will be taken off of the Irinotecan. That is one drug that makes me very sick and is also the main culprit that causes hair loss so if I can get rid of that drug my hair can start growing back again. At that point I will just be on the flourouracil  which is the one I have to wear the pump for. The side effects for that are pretty minimal and life should seem pretty normal at that point.

All in all, I know I can be grateful. Better to keep going and reduce the amount of drugs that I have to take than to get the break I was hoping for and then start all over again with the drug regiment that I started with. So I guess I just need to readjust my thinking from "when I reach the end of chemo" to "when I only have to take one chemo drug."

My doctor said that she is still incredibly impressed with how well I have done on the three drugs. She said I am a poster child for this therapy. I think they really should make a poster with me and then pay me for it!! :-) (Just kidding.) I have much to be thankful for. Thank you for all of your prayers and support.


5 comments:

  1. Your gratitude and readjusting your expectations will carry you far! It's your new normal. You can do it! Stay positive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some really great news! I understand the thought of thinking you're at the end; only to find out it's just the beginning. I'll give you more insight privately though. But, it's still some great news! I'm very proud of you for how well you've stuck with this chemo and kept a positive attitude through it all! Not only are you a poster child for this chemo! But, you're also the poster child for perseverance! I'm proud of how far you've come, and how you've not given up and given in to this cancer!

    Love Ya, Michelle!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you would have more of a break too! Better to be on the safe side and keep it at bay. That is so great about your results. How does this affect the backpacking forecast?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like some disappointment but some really good news too. I like the taking meds forever....that means you have many happy days ahead and the treatments will just get better. I think of you often and you are in our prayers

    ReplyDelete