Thursday, June 25, 2015

New Treatment

Today was my first treatment on the clinical trial. For the past two weeks I have had numerous tests. They wanted to get baseline data on just about every aspect of my health but now that is over. Actually, I will repeat most of those tests/Dr. visits in about a month but then after that it will pretty much just be going in for the chemo every two weeks.

I got more good news. They opened up a new phase of the trial using the three drugs so they allowed me to go straight to the three drug trial rather than starting on the two drugs and waiting until my cancer progresses to get on the three drug trial. Not only does the three drug regimen have better results but for some reason patients seem to tolerate it better, the side affects appear to not be quite as bad. The third drug that has been added is Dabrafenib.

We started today at 8:30, did some blood tests, met with the doctor and then headed to infusion. I took the Dabrafenib and Trametinib orally and then had a one hour infusion of the third drug. That would normally have been the end of the day but because this was the first time taking the drugs they wanted to get blood samples at 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours and 8 hours after the infusion. This will tell how long it takes the drugs to get into my system and how long for them to leave.

I was very happy to be able to start treatment again. My cough has been coming back and it has been a bit disconcerting seeing how quickly the cancer has grown since the traditional chemo stopped working. I am hopeful that this new treatment will work as quickly to get the cancer back under control as the original chemo did to begin with.

I tolerated the drugs this first time quite well. Brynn was very happy and surprised to see when I got home that I wasn't sick. I, too, was very relieved. Like the traditional chemo, the cumulative effect of the drugs could cause me to tolerate it less well as time goes on. I hope that is not the case but for now at least, all is well.

1 comment:

  1. You are in our prayers. Glad to hear you tolerated this round well.

    ReplyDelete