Sunday, October 26, 2014
Hello! I hope everyone is having a lovely day. So far so good for me. I am still feeling much the same, no real side affects, my energy level is good, I’m eating well and all is happy in the Greenwood home.
Yesterday I was brought a wheelchair complete with seat cushion and backpack for carrying oxygen. Yes, there is no end to the wonderful things people are doing for me. So last night we took a little stroll through the neighborhood. It was really quite fun. Now I am looking forward to getting out and seeing some of the fall color. For those of you who have not seen me, I can walk. That is not the problem. It is just that I am not able to walk very far. When I was in the hospital I would take walks with the nurses and at first I did really well, but as time went on, my oxygen level would not stay stable when I walked very far at all so it got to where I couldn’t really go for walks. At home I am up and about, tethered by my oxygen cord which seems a bit like a leash, but it is really long so I can go pretty much anywhere. But to go out into the world, it is better to have a wheelchair so I can go farther.
I have reached my nadir, which is the time when my immune system is at its lowest. I don’t feel any different, so that is good, but it means I have to be extra cautious about keeping germs away. This Thursday I go back to the hospital (as outpatient) to get my next chemo treatment.
Now for something I could use some help with. We have received lots of delicious treats and enjoyed them very much. My kids were worried that I was going to get mad at them for eating so much sugar. (I am usually pretty strict about their sugar intake.) I assured them I would not, I figured they probably needed a little extra love and attention at this time and what makes you feel better than delicious treats? But now, the mother in me is taking over. I think they have had their fill of sugar and sugar is actually not good for me right now. Cancer feeds on sugar. In fact, that is how they find the cancer in your body. They send a sugar solution through your body and then see where there is lots of activity. Since cancer is more active than regular cells and since cancer thrives on sugar, the places that light up on the scan are the places where there is cancer. My goal at this point is to not feed the cancer and to nourish my immune system which means eating lots of fruits and vegetables.
I know how much the giving of food is a sign of our love and affection in our culture and I do not mean to stop that. If you want to bring me tasty treats, how about strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, spinach, carrots, broccoli....anything I can juice or make smoothies out of. My kids LOVE fruit. It is quite a chore keeping a pint of blueberries or strawberries around longer than 5 minutes once it enters the house. I have two children who eat a minimum of 1-2 apples per day. (Brynn likes red varieties, Rigel likes Granny Smith) I can promise you we will feel the love if you bring us fruits and vegetables.
That’s all for now. I will let you know how things go on Thursday! Thank you and I love you all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So glad you are not feeling any side effects!!!! WOO HOO!
ReplyDeleteIvan and I took out all refined sugar from our diet last summer and loved it! I can bring you my favorite recipes and ideas when we come to visit :). We couldn't be more excited about coming!!
ReplyDeleteThat would be great. Thank you. We can't wait to see you, too.
DeleteI think I should make a visit to your place to see Sadie. I think it would be best to do it there rather than bring her home and then take her away again. And you are welcome to plot the spring. Let's talk and figure out a time!
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle,
ReplyDeleteYou are so wise to still be thinking about how the food we eat affects cancer! Sending prayers to Heavenly Father for you, and healing vibrations your way. I have been visualizing HF withering the cancer cells throughout your body. I wish I could do more!
I really enjoy your blog, putting the ice cream back into the freezer now.
ReplyDeleteLots of Love
Brenda & Michael
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks you for keeping use updated...I look forward to reading your postings...u are in my thoughts and prayers... <3
ReplyDelete